Finishing and Fixing
13 April @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£80
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that knitters cast on many more projects than they ever cast off. This is a class for any knitter who’s fallen out with an unfinished project on account of wrongly placed knits and purls, stitches that came off the needle that you can’t face picking up, or pieces that need seaming together. Sorting out mistakes and finishing off doesn’t need to come between your carefully knitted pieces of fabric turning into the lovely sweater they are supposed to become.
This class is for knitters who’ve conquered the basics of casting on and off and knitting and purling, but struggle to pull it all together at the very end.
Knitting writer, designer and tutor, Jane Lithgow will teach you how to:
- reading and understanding inconsistencies in your knitting
- picking up dropped stitches
- re-orienting knits to purls and purls to knits
- tinking (that’s kniting backwards!)
- putting live stitches back on your needle after undo-ing your work.
- graft live stitches together
- knit a seam using the 3 needle bind-off
- invisibly sew seams with mattress stitch
- block your knitting with blocking wires and pins
Please make sure you bring two swatches of stocking stitch knitting with you. Each swatch should be 20 stitches wide and 30 rows long, and should not be cast off – leave each swatch on a stitch holder or some waste yarn.
Please feel free to bring in any knitting you have which is in need of a fix.