- This event has passed.
Intarsia from the Beginning
14 May @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm£55.00
Curious about new directions for your colourwork knitting? Interested in personalizing your knitting? Think of Intarsia and its separate and multiple fields of colour, each with their own shape and form. Intarsia takes colourwork knitting beyond repeating patterns, opening up new possibilities with design and colour. Whether you want to put a picture on a sweater or include someone’s initials in a knitted gift, intarsia is the skill you need.
Join Wendy Peterson, editor of YarnSub.com and the Yarn Geeks Newsletter for an adventurous new colourwork journey where you’ll pick up a new toolset of foundational skills for knitting intarsia designs.
During the class, you will create a technique swatch combining colourful diamonds and a letter of the alphabet of your choice.
You will learn
- How to manage multiple colours – yarn preparation and avoiding tangles
- How to read an intarsia pattern chart.
- The intarsia cast-on – start colours at the cast-on edge.
- How to lock yarn at the colour change – the one simple rule you need.
- How to keep the edges of the colour blocks neat.
- How to join a new colour.
- How to weave in ends as you work.
- How to cast off in the colour pattern.
You will receive
- A copy of the Alphabet & Diamonds drawstring bag pattern.
- Pattern charts for all the letters of the alphabet.
- Reminder sheets with photo tutorials for all the techniques covered.
This class is suitable for on-the-way knitters who can confidently cast on, knit, purl and cast-off.
A sport, DK or worsted-weight yarn of your choice in 3 different colours with appropriately-sized needles. About 20g of each colour will be plenty.
Spare yarn and preactice needles will be available to use if you prefer. And if you’d like to buy yarn for the class, you can do so with a 10% participant’s discount.
When booking your ticket, please make sure you are able attend on the date selected. If you wish to cancel your booking we can offer refunds on purchased tickets up to two weeks (14 days) before the class date. After that time, refunds will be dependent on whether we can re-sell your ticket to someone on a waiting list. For classes which are regularly repeated, date change requests can be considered up to 10 days before your workshop date. Please email us for more details.
Get FREE Wild and Woolly News in your inbox