- This event has passed.
Shaping Blocks of Colour: Next steps in intarsia
10 November @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm£50
Why stop at oblongs when you could go slanty and curvy too? This is a class for colour-curious knitters, who are ready to play new stitch games in pursuit of beuatifully different shapes in their intarisa knitting.
Basic intarsia techniques are great for creating rectangular fields of colour, but as soon as your shapes include lines which slant and curve, not so much. This is not a class about tidying up jageddy edges – it’s about completely replacing them with inventive techniques which create beautifully clear and boundaried motifs.
Wendy Peterson has spent years perfecting the edges of intarsia shapes. In this brand new shaped intarsia masterclass, she introduces her remarkable array of shaped intarsia techniques.
In this class you will learn how to:
- Read a shaped intarsia pattern chart and understand the new symbols
- Make a smoothly slanting diagonal edge
- Start a motif with a point – as with hearts and diamonds
- Work on a smooth curved edge with a changing gradient.
The class includes a copy of the Orbital Mittens pattern. By the end of the class you will have covered all the techniques you need to make them.
- fluency in casting on, knitting, purling, casting off
- the intarsia cast on
- joining in a new colour by locking yarns
You will need 2 contrasting shades of DK wool and a set of 4mm needles.
Practice yarn will be available for swatching if you need it. Yarn and needles will be available to purchase with a 10% participant’s discount.