- This event has passed.
Embroidery on Knits with Judit Gummlich
18 February @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm£90.00
Adding new colour, texture and pattern can transform your knitwear and take you on an exciting new journey in handwork and design.
Following the launch of her celebrated new book, Embroidery on Knits, Hamburg-based sewist and knitter, Judit Gummlich (aka Kuniberta) will be holding a masterclass in London – so you can discover the free-roaming stitches you can create with a tapestry needle and embroidery yarns.
Embroidering knitwear looks impressive, but it doesn’t have to be difficult!
In this workshop you will learn the basics and techniques you need to embellish your own knitted or crocheted projects with woollen embroidery and turn them into something unique and personal.
In this three-hour workshop you will learn:
• what to consider when planning/special features of embroidery on knits
• how to choose the right materials and tools
• preparing the embroidery hoop
• the basic stitches
• embroidering the motif (planning your route, starting and finishing the thread, embroidering with multiple threads )
• post-processing and aftercare
• recognising and correcting mistakes
Plus a lot of tips and tricks on how to create beautiful designs that take even the plainest knitted piece to a new level. This is a great way to use up scraps, to give knitted garmentss a new life and add another craft skill to your creative repertoire.
This workshop is aimed for both beginners and advanced crafters, all levels are welcome.
Embroidery templates, water soluble stabiliser, embroidery needles, yarn scraps and beads will be provided.
Please bring your own:
- stable embroidery hoop with a diameter of about 20 cm. Also available to purchase in the shop.
- small needlework scissors. Also available to purchase in the shop.
- optionally your own template, yarn scraps and a hand knitted garment to be embroidered (or see notes below if you would rather embroider on a swatch)
If you don’t have a hand knitted garment to embroider, please bring a hand-knitted swatch which is at least 25×25 cm, preferably in stockinette stitch, washed and blocked.
When booking your ticket, please make sure you are able attend on the date selected. If you wish to cancel your booking we can offer refunds on purchased tickets up to two weeks (14 days) before the class date. After that time, refunds will be dependent on whether we can re-sell your ticket to someone on a waiting list. For classes which are regularly repeated, date change requests can be considered up to 10 days before your workshop date. Please email us for more details.
Get FREE Wild and Woolly News in your inbox